Thursday, November 15, 2012

We have a fighter on our hands!

I wanted to give you all an update...
She was born on Tuesday afternoon, I saw her Tuesday night and she was still on the vent.  A stronger vent than they started out on right after birth.  On Wednesday morning, my nurse came in and said that had already been able to bump her down to the C-PAP machine.  I will tell you now the hierarchy of machines as it has been told to me. Ventilator, C-PAP, high flow nasal cannula, low flow nasal cannula, room air.  So, she was on C-PAP all day yesterday and she was able to be turned down as the day progressed- praise the Lord!  THEN- this morning they told us she has been taken off C-PAP and is on high flow nasal cannula and 21% room air.  God heard your prayers!!!  They keep telling us not to be alarmed if she has to back track a little on these machines as that would not be a set back it would just mean she is tired.  Her muscles are still really small and it is not uncommon for her to be bumped back up for a period of time.
Yesterday afternoon we hit another milestone!  She was able to take a little breast milk.  She was getting 2 ML/3 hours through her feeding tube.  This morning she is up to 3ML/3 hours.  She is tolerating this well so far.  She has lost 3 oz since birth but this was expected.  She is down to 1 lb 4 oz.
She is the tiniest bundle of love I have ever seen.  Of course all parents say they never knew they could love something so much, but it's true for us.  We can't believe we are already parents and could love something this much!  I do have to say, I feel a little helpless.  I know this must be normal...
**I had to pause a minute because the neonatologist came in.  He is so surprised at how well she is doing!  God is hearing the prayers!  He said he realizes he was negative when he first talked to me in recovery about her lungs.  This is when they could not get her stable on the first vent and had to move to a stronger one.  He said he never expected her to improve so quickly.  *He is WONDERFUL by the way*  He said not to be upset if she has to move back to C-PAP or something as that's normal.  He also said she is doing great right now and he has nothing bad to tell us.  However, not to get discouraged or scared when he has to call us and say something is not going our way.  This will happen and we will deal with it accordingly he says.  We have talked to him about getting to hold her and it's best to wait until her umbilical catheter is out.  This is where they take her BP, draw blood and other things.  If it were to come out, they would have to stick her for all of these things and I would never want to cause that stress to her.  While holding her really scares me due to her size, we are ready to hold her but in due time.
I don't think I can speak more highly of this place.  God brought us here for a reason and I know his reason.  These people are so wonderful, loving, and intelligent.  The neonatologist came in just now and sat on my bed for 15 minutes and talked to Rob and I like we were his children.  The nurse manager just came in and I could not stop talking about how wonderful everyone was.  Anyway...I will leave you with pictures from the last day or so.  Please keep prayers coming for Ann Martins strength, lungs, weight and organs to function properly!  We feel your love and prayers!   Love you all!
Elizabeth

                                 Thank you Amy Grace for the beautiful door hanger!!

 Ann Martin with a head full of dark hair.  Can you see her fingers- she get those long things             from her daddy!
 This was this morning...she was doing great.  Occasionally pitching a fit, if you can call it that.  She is also a squirmer.
 Here is a close up- the green tube is her nasal cannula giving her oxygen and the orange tube is her feeding tube.  Light is for her bilirubin levels.  Cloth over her head, we both wore it under our clothes for the first 24 hours to put our scent on it.  They cover her head with it to keep the light out of her eyes.  Her eyes are still fused shut at this point.  They keep her bound tight in her bed to imitate the womb.  Inside her oscilette is very warm to also imitate the womb.

Just some of the sweet, sweet friends that came to visit the day she was born.  Left to right- Becky Eady, Bess Wilder and Sharon Futch.  Not pictured- Suzan McKenzie- grandmother, Ann Lanier, Paul- my dad, Angie- my sister, my mom, Amy Grace Warren...please forgive me if I forgot you- I was heavily drugged :).

We love you all!!

No comments:

Post a Comment